About We Thrive Together
Companies and organizations are partnering together to reduce social isolation and loneliness of adults by initially engaging our community members where they are at and then motivating them to participate in classes, social events and activities throughout the county and encouraging our neighbors to take advantage of the support programs, like the Friendly Caller program, already available to as county residents.
Why We Thrive Together Was Started
- You don’t have to go very far to see the face of loneliness. It is everywhere.
- 3 in 4 Americans Struggle With Loneliness (U.S. News & World Report, 2018)
- More than 8 million adults age 50 and older are affected by isolation. (connect2affect.org powered by AARP, 2019)
- Loneliness, living alone and poor social connections are as bad for your health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. (Holt-Lunstad, 2010)
- Lonely people are more likely to suffer from dementia, heart disease and depression. (Valtorta et al, 2016) (James et al, 2011) (Cacioppo et al, 2006)
- Between 20% and 43% of U.S. adults over age 60 experience frequent or intense loneliness (Perissinotto, Stijacic Cenzer, & Covinsky, 2012)
- Humans need others to survive. Regardless of one’s sex, country or culture of origin, age or economic background, social connection is crucial to human development, health, and survival.